Dark Side of Florence
Conspiracies and political intrigues in 15th and 16th century Florence.
This experience is a journey into the political intrigues and struggle for power thatcharacterized Florence at the beginning of Renaissance. Discover hidden rooms in Palaces of power and get an in-depth view of the violent infighting between Florentine families and within the Medici family to establish the domain over the city.
DARK SIDE OF FLORENCE | HALF DAY or FULL DAY
Your specialized tour guide will introduce you to the unique events and facts during the political struggle in Florence while visiting important locations related to the events. Get a first hand view and understand turning points in the city history, ranging for politics to family affairs and to forbidden studies:
- The Pazzi Conspiracy: The most violent conspiracy in the city history with complex intrigues involving players such as the Pope and other local and European figures.
- The Florentine rebellion of 1494 and the expulsion of the Medici: The role of Domenican monk Savonarola.
- The Medici return in 1512: Giovanni (future Pope Leone X) and his brother Giuliano.
- The murder of Duke Alessandro in 1537 and the end of the main branch of the family.
- The poisoning of Francesco I of Medici and his second wife Bianca Cappello: The ambiguous role of his brother Cardinal Ferdinando I, future Gran Duke of Tuscany.
- The forbidden study of dead bodies by Michelangelo and Leonardo: a tolerated practice.
You’ll begin the tour by meeting with your guide for an introduction to the day ahead, including a presentation and identification of events and facts. Then, you’ll walk throughout the historical center of Florence, including a stop at Palazzo Vecchio and the secret rooms with in-depth explanation of the Pazzi conspiracy (Congiura dei Pazzi) and following events. Short visit to Santa Croce neighborhood, where the Pazzi lived.
At 1:30pm, there will be a lunch break (not included in fee) and discussion.
The afternoon program (if requested) is dedicated to events related to the Medici rule in the city and the establishment of their absolute domain.
The tour will conclude with evening aperitif (included in fee) and discussion.
Up to 12 people. Please inquire about larger groups.
6 hours approx. + 1 hour lunch break
Daily, starts at 9.00am by appointment. Tour can be split in two half-day tours.